So I know that commonly people say 「ゲームをする」or 「NOUNで遊ぶ」 yet on the Japanese playstation website, I see 「ゲームを遊ぶ」written, even though the verb is intransitive. Are they both correct or is it sorta like an Incorrect usage but commonly understood, like some english phrases?

• How would an intransitive verb take an object, though? Is it just an exception? – GlimGlamGloom Aug 15 at 4:57
    Yes, that's the point of your question, and the link does not answer that part. For now, I would say 遊ぶ also has a transitive usage. – naruto Aug 15 at 4:59

I think ゲームを遊ぶ and ゲームで遊ぶ are both perfectly correct. Although some dictionaries say 遊ぶ is only intransitive, you can find some transitive usages of 遊ぶ on BCCWJ, including:

• ゲームを遊ぶ
  • マリオを遊ぶ
  • 月を愛で歌を詠み、御座の間などでも花を遊ぶ
  • 何を遊ぶかということではなくて、どのように遊ぶか
  • 渋谷の夜を遊ぶ
  • ホノルルを遊ぶ (although this を may be taken as a location marker)

The difference is usually subtle and unimportant, but ゲームを遊ぶ sounds like ゲーム is the main purpose, whereas ゲームで遊ぶ sounds like ゲーム is just a method to have fun. The following article intentionally distinguishes ゲームを遊ぶ and ゲームで遊ぶ:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.