on my book there are these sentences that I didn't understand

• 新聞に、来月フランスの大統領が来日するという記事が出ている。

• 1993年に山形県で最高気温が40度を超えたという記録がある。

• 日本には、月でうさぎがもちをついているという古くからの言い伝えがあります。

• 1973年にトイレットペーパーがなくなるといううわさが日本中に流れて、多くの人々がスーパーに殺到した。

New contributor
Carmela Manieri is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Provide us with your translation attempt so that we can assist you in getting this question answered. Thank you and welcome to Japanese Stack Exchange! – JACK Aug 14 at 16:23
  • While working on your translations, recall that the いう in という is the verb 言う meaning "to say," and it can be interpreted literally (i.e., you can use the verb "say" in the English translation) in all of these cases. – mamster Aug 14 at 17:14
  • related or duplicate: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/68976/9831 – Chocolate Aug 15 at 13:27

It expresses apposition.

日本には、月でうさぎがもちをついているという古くからの言い伝えがあります。 In japan, there is an old tradition that rabbits are making mochi on the moon.

New contributor
Yamacure is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

Carmela Manieri is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.