I originally received a post from an online chat which stated 「日本人のかたですか?」 I assumed this post was correct and questioned the meaning of the word かた in this instance. Would 「日本人のかたですか?」 be considered redundant? Would 「日本のかたですか?」 be the correct rewrite of the sentence with かた meaning person?

• @ajsmart Jisho is helpful too. Apparently the sentence is not written correctly as received in a chat. – JACK Aug 14 at 14:53
    @JACK Perhaps one way to word your question is “Is 日本人の方 redundant or not?”, since I think that’s what you’re trying to get at. – Darius Jahandarie Aug 14 at 16:21
  • @DariusJahandarie I rewrote your recommendations as a part of the content. Thank you. – JACK Aug 14 at 16:31

“Nihon no kata desuka”
“Nihonjin no kata desuka”
“Nihon no hito desuka”
“Nihonjin desuka”

All of them are used.

There’s no difference in meaning, but “kata” sounds polite, “Nihonjin desuka” can be rude. “Nihonjin no kata” has two words that means “person”, but it’s grammatically correct.

Because there’s “desuka”(敬語), we wouldn’t say “Nihonjin desuka”. It doesn’t suit “desuka”.

• この暗室は暗い。(It’s dark in this darkroom.) and 最も悪い悪人は彼だ。(The worst bad guy is he.) are also used. – Yamacure Aug 14 at 17:40
  • え、「日本人ですか」って言わないのですか?確かに「日本の方でしょうか」とかのほうが丁寧で初対面の人に対して使うのに適切だと思いますが、「日本人ですか」も、少しくだけた状況(大学生の間だとか)だったら普通に使われているかと… – Darius Jahandarie Aug 15 at 19:15
  • 日本人かどうか尋ねるのは外国人っぽい顔をしていた時くらいで、そういう場合は大抵外国人ですか?とかハーフですか?と言いますね。可能性があるとすれば警察に職務質問をされた時くらいで、その場合は日本人の方ですか?となると思います。日本人ですか?はやはり外国人に見える人に向けて言うのは失礼にあたると思いますが、大学生くらいの年齢なら言ってしまうことも少なくないかもしれませんね。 – Yamacure Aug 15 at 19:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.