Was studying Anki when i came across やっと難しい問題が解けった

Instead of using the が particle, would it also be plausible to use the を particle here? I know that transitive sentences normally uses を and intransitive uses が, but how "wrong" (in terms of trying to express my thoughts to others) is it to use を in this case. Would the other party, not be able to decipher what I am trying to say? I know that using the verb 解かす with the を particle would probably be more correct, but I am just curious on whether it is still decipherable to others

Are you sure it's 解けた, not 解けた ? – Chocolate Aug 13 at 10:35

解ける happens to be the potential form of transitive 解く:

問題が解ける (present)、問題が解けた (past)
↑ intransitive "solve"
問題が(orを)解ける (present)、問題が(orを)解けた (past)
potential form of transitive 解く "solve"

So grammatically speaking you can say:

やっと難しい問題解けた。 The problem finally got solved / I could finally solve the problem
やっと難しい問題解けた。 I could finally solve the problem

I know that using the verb 解かす with the を particle would probably be more correct

No, use 解, not 解かす here:

問題を解 (present)、問題を解いた (past)
↑ transitive "solve"

You're right that とかす is transitive, but it means "melt" "dissolve" "comb out" etc. (溶かす, 融かす, 解かす, 梳かす etc.) You don't say 問題を解かす to mean "solve a problem".

So you can say:

やっと難しい問題解いた。 I finally solved the problem

I know that transitive sentences normally uses を and intransitive uses が, but how "wrong" is it to use を... Would the other party, not be able to decipher what I am trying to say?

For example, if you said:

*パソコン壊れた。
*ガソリンの値段上がりました。
*お風呂沸いた。

it'd depend on the context but native speakers would usually think that you meant to say:

パソコン壊れた。 or パソコンを壊た。
ガソリンの値段上がりました。
お風呂沸いた。 or maybe お風呂を沸かした。

• Thanks, didn't realise it was in its potential form. It is possible to use を and が for potential form of verbs, and i myself might have had heard some natives using を with the potential form. Why does Tae Kim's guide discourages the use of を particle when used with the potential form? Link: guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/… – Newbie Aug 14 at 22:37
  • @Newbie そうですね。。 It's probably because using が is more common... I think 「富士山登れた。」「重い荷物持てます。」 are okay too, though it might depend on the context. – Chocolate Aug 15 at 7:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.