The weblio page for 見つかった uses this phrase as an example meaning "I've been caught." But as I understand it, 見つかる implies that the subject and not the object is the thing that is found. And so I would expect it to be

悪いところが見つかった。

or otherwise

悪いところを見つけた。

This example seems to be the only one on the weblio page to use を with 見つかった.

not sure if you already know it or not, but 見つかる is an intransitive verb, and 見つける a transitive one. – Felipe Oliveira Aug 12 at 19:05

Different Meanings of 「ところ」

「悪{わる}いところ見つかった。」

is at least colloquially a valid phrase meaning:

"(Someone) was caught at an awkward moment."

In this expression, 「ところ」 means a "scene" or "moment" where an action takes place.

「~~見つかる」 is not a structure you would use in formal speech, but that can be said about a million other words and phrases.

The sentence:

「悪いところ見つかった。」

however, means a completely different thing. It means:

"A bad / malfunctioning part was found."

「ところ」 means a "part" in this sentence. It may refer to a part of one's body or an object such as a car, TV, PC, etc.. This sentence implies that an examination has been conducted that lead to the finding of the malfunctioning part.

• How common is it in colloquial Japanese to use を to mark something other than the direct object? Do you know of any other expressions where を is used in this way? Also, is there a "correct" way to express the same idea in formal Japanese? – kohaku Aug 12 at 22:30
    @kohaku Here you are... japanese.stackexchange.com/q/18715/7810 (ProTip: in formal Japanese you still use を) – broccoli forest Aug 14 at 10:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.