(I can change the question if it's too vague. 😅)

I'm trying to practice my listening comprehension by listening to anime and not fully paying attention to subtitles. For the most part I can understand them but every now and then there will be something that I suppose is so colloquial that I can't find references to the word anywhere. I like looking up the more natural ways people would say things than just book/dictionary forms. (I've been told I'm too stiff...)

One of these is from the anime 'March comes in like a Lion' season 2 episode 13 on Netflix. (For the source reference)

Rei the main character sits down about 14:50 and says under his breath something like "iya (or iye) korakusho" like when you'd sit down and go "oh boy/man" or "ah whew" or something to that effect in English, this traslates it as "ooph" in the subtitles though...

I've heard this in many other anime over the years and it's one I can never find a reference to or how it's used exactly.

Ive tried every single similar combination I could think of of kana/kanji to research and I can only think that crowd sourcing is my last option. I know this forum is very strict but I hope that my obscure/colloquial reference can be answered.

Looking at the subtitles on Netflix, it's よっこらしょっと, which seems to be a variation on よっこらしょ, which you can find in dictionaries. As you understood, it's something said when exerting effort.

enter image description here

• That was fast! Was that on US Netflix? I didn't even think to look and see if it had Japanese subtitles, it's like 2 in the morning! I'm embarrassed 😳 – Kyoumimasu Aug 12 at 6:44
  • @Kyoumimasu I'm in Japan, so I'm not sure what is on the US Netflix. It probably isn't available there. – Leebo Aug 12 at 6:45
  • ありがとうございます 🙇🏻‍♀️ the phrase I hear most here is よし or よっしゃ〜 or おいしょ〜 from Japanese-Americans 😊 – Kyoumimasu Aug 12 at 6:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.