What are these two characters marked red? I'm trying to learn reading some kid books, some Bonobono font chars meaning though is a mystery for me.

screenshot from Bonobono manga

To actually answer the question, the characters are な (na) and ぢ (pronounced ji, but di in certain romanisations).

To address the meaning of what's being said, I understand that there is a slight difference in the meaning of いじめる and いぢめる, both meaning to bully/tease.

いぢめる has some sense of cuteness/playfulness about it: perhaps you're teasing someone, but you don't really mean for your words to hurt them -- you might use the kanji 苛める.

いじめる on the other hand has the true meaning of bullying about it: more hurtful and unpleasant -- you might use the kanji 虐める.

Note, however, that the (strictly) correct 'spelling' of both of the above verbs in modern Japanese is いじめる.

The use of ぢ in いぢめる is a historical spelling of the verb, before ぢ was (largely) rationalised to じ in the 1946 script reforms. Both じ and ぢ are pronounced the same, except for I think in certain dialects in Kyushu and Shikoku.

But I don't think there's a meaning difference between them outside orthographical play... – broccoli forest Aug 11 at 13:28

「いめる?」
「いじめいよォ」

Note, the word is いじめる and is normally never spelled いぢめる. It seems spelling it that way is a quirk of this character.

(Normally じ and ぢ would be pronounced the same (ji), but in this case it’s possible the artist was going for something more ‘squirrel-like’ in pronunciation, like an emphasized/partially-voiced ち.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.