I know that the term chattorumu is used for online chats. What term would be used to denote an actual room for this activity? A room to chat in.

  • Does the concept of a physical chat room exist in English...? What is the context of your question? – henreetee Aug 11 '19 at 11:18
  • I wanted to determine if there was a difference between an online room and a physical location. – JACK Aug 11 '19 at 11:39
  • 3
    I understand your question itself, but I'm just trying to understand the premise of it. Do you think a physical "chat room" is a well defined concept? I think in English, you wouldn't use "chat room" for a room you chat in, as rooms you chat in often have an overarching and/or broader purpose than just chatting (e.g. a common room, a staff room, a break-out room, a waiting room, a living room). Is there a reason you expect the Japanese language to label the concept of "a room where you chat" specifically? – henreetee Aug 11 '19 at 11:49
  • I was actually discussing the term kaiwa no heya with a Japanese person. A room where we can talk. – JACK Aug 11 '19 at 11:51

Though I'm not sure whether a real chat room has ever existed in English-speaking world (after a bit of Googling), and I'm not sure it's the perfect match for the hypothetical concept, I know that some facilities actually have 談話室【だんわしつ】 for close or private small-group conversation. A number of diners (mostly cafés) seem to have it as a part of the trade name too.

enter image description here (from a random conference hall website)

Last but not least, this word is also not uncommon for the name of online chatrooms or forums.

  • This is what I was looking for. Kaiwa no heya is also understood. – JACK Aug 11 '19 at 12:12
  • 1
    @JACK かいわべや (kaiwabeya) should be way more natural to me, though I don't think it's an established word... – broccoli forest Aug 11 '19 at 12:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.