Is there a term for being able to understand a Kanji meaning, but unable to pronounce it in Japanese?


I believe there is no single-word term for this. There is a word 難読語【なんどくご】 that means "hard-to-read word", but it doesn't mean "being able to understand its meaning". You can say something like 意味は分かるけど読めない. (Even native speakers encounter such examples often!)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.