Reviewing some basic keigo forms, I was wondering what happens if you express yourself too polite... I heared that is not uncommon for (elder) couples to use keigo to express their uttermost respect towards their partner and this is generally perceived as "cute"/positive by Japanese people. Conversly in most Indo-European cultures beeing overly polite to people close to you would sometimes be considered cold/distant/rude.

So my questions:

What would be the general reaction of Japanese people, if one were to use too polite language forms for a given situation? Are there certain kinds of situation in which beeing too polite would be particular positivly/negatively perceived by Japanese people?

This is a good question! Keep in mind that the answer will have a LOT to do with your perceived Japanese language skill level. People's reaction to overuse of polite language by a novice Japanese learner vs a skilled JSL speaker vs a native speaker will generally be very different. – mamster Aug 6 at 19:48
    And the inverse: the better you are at managing this, the less you’re treated as a learner (more so than many other dimensions of proficiency). – Darius Jahandarie Aug 6 at 21:53
  • In a casual setting, the reaction would be pretty much the same as if you were in bar with your (non Japanese) friends and asked them: "Would you terribly mind if I were to humbly allow myself to pour you a drink?" – Tommy Aug 7 at 2:44

Unsurprisingly, a sudden switch to polite speech or keigo usually means a psychological distance, anger or a serious mood.

However, if a couple uses keigo on a daily basis, that's another story. Traditionally, the concept of gender role was much more prevailing than today in Japan, and it was not uncommon for a wife to use keigo to her husband. In Sazae-san, you can hear Fune regularly use mild keigo to her husband, Namihei. (Of course they are regarded as a stereotypical, good old example of a happy Japanese family.) Even today, some people are very slow to switch to plain form depending on his/her character, and a few may keep using keigo even after a marriage. It usually means nothing.

• "psychological distance, anger or a serious mood" ... or a good-natured fun, like passing salt with a grin and かしこまりました. :) – Amadan Aug 7 at 4:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.