I have always used the word otona to signify adult. Recently, I have seen the word shakaijin. Is there a significant difference between the two words? It seems like shakaijin is a member of society. Can I use both words interchangeably?

It would seem strange to routinely use "member of society" in place of "adult" in English. I would guess the same applies to Japanese. – jkerian Aug 5 at 19:32
    @jkerian, there must be a meaning or situation that I am not familiar with. – JACK Aug 5 at 19:35
    That sounds like you're wondering about a particular use. In that case it might be best to post that example. – jkerian Aug 6 at 0:33
  • 大人 is "adult", someone who is mature enough. It typically refers to anyone over 18 or 20.
  • 社会人 is someone who has started to work regularly. It's mainly used in business contexts. A 22-year old university student is usually not called a 社会人 yet. So 社会人 is somewhat closer to a (responsible) businessperson, although 社会人 also includes farmers, novelists and such.

See also: What's the difference between 成人 and 大人?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.