The following sentence is marked as wrong:

私は夜遅く帰る代わりに朝早く起きて勉強しています。

However, as I understand it, it can be translated as "On the one hand I come back home late, but on the other hand, I wake up early in the morning and study.". This sentence makes sense to me (despite coming back late, I still manage to wake up early and study).

Instead, the correct answer should be

私は夜早く寝る代わりに朝早く起きて勉強しています

which to me means "Instead of sleeping early, I wake up early". This makes less sense to me. What am I getting completely wrong in the usage of 代わりに?

私は夜早く寝る代わりに朝早く起きて勉強しています。

代わりに can also mean "in compensation / to make up (for)" (≂ 「埋め合わせに」「代償に」), "in return / in exchange (for)" (≂ お返しに). I think 代わりに here is closer to 埋め合わせに "to make up" "to compensate". So, would this make more sense to you:

"I go to bed early. (But) I get up and study early in the morning to compensate / to make up (for the loss)."

≂ 私は早く寝ます。(でも)その代わりに朝早く起きて勉強しています。
(lit. "I go to bed early. (But) I get up and study early in the morning instead.")

A few similar examples:

私は夜遅く帰る代わりに、昼まで寝ています。
I go home late at night. So I sleep till noon to make up for my lack of sleep.

家事の手伝いをしてもらう代わりに英語を教えている。*
I teach her English in exchange for [in return for] her help with housekeeping.

彼は頭脳[明晰]{めいせき}である代わりに体が丈夫でない。*
He has a sharp mind, but he's not strong physically.

その娘は器量はあまり良くないが、その代わりとても気立てが優しかった。*
She wasn't very good-looking, but she had a very tender heart to make up for it.

*Examples taken from プログレッシブ和英中辞典.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.