I've recently gotten into translating fancomics for a manga, although I'm still a beginner at Japanese. Naturally, I don't really know my kanji and I have to rely on a lot of looking up radical and kanji lists or using OCR (the few times it works). In one of those fancomics, I've encountered a kanji that I've been unable to recognise successfully for a few days now. Here's a pic of the kanji in question.

enter image description here

If I'm not mistaken the top-left radical is 广 and I tried to search based on that (as well as other similar radicals in case I am mistaken). I also tried to look based on the furigana at the left (or at least I think it's furigana) that based on other instances of the artist's handwriting, I took to be に. However, with either of those methods I couldn't find any kanji that seemed to fit the image well enough nor any that seemed to make any sense meaning-wise (though I will admit I could have been missing something as my Japanese is beginner level, after all). For the context of where the kanji appeared, I have this:

告白する相手を間違えてませんか ("Haven't you made a mistake about whom to confess to?" as per my translation) (?)では ないですね The two latter lines are different speech bubbles, but I suspect they might be a single sentence.

If someone can recognise the kanji, I'd grateful for the help, but I'd also appreciate tips on how I might go about this kind of research more efficiently myself. After all, it's very possible I'll come up this problem again in the future and I can't always rely on others.

In any case, thanks in advance for any help.

It's 嘘, though I think this kind of question is considered off topic. – Leebo Aug 2 at 12:37
  • @Leebo I don't see anything off-topic about this, it shows very clear research effort and an earnest willingness to learn more. – droooze Aug 2 at 12:39
    @droooze I wasn't suggesting it wasn't written earnestly, but "methods for how to recognize characters" is generally considered a meta topic at least, isn't it. – Leebo Aug 2 at 12:41
  • I have a feeling someone will mention a handwriting app. I must say, if one isn't familiar with the character components, a handwriting app won't really help pick the right character - it'll just bring up a list of choices which narrows down the guesswork. – droooze Aug 2 at 12:45
  • @Leebo Thanks you very much for your help and for the quick reply. I looked up a few similar questions before making mine and I noticed that the ones marked as off-topic had the following reason given: "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated". I figured that as such mine wouldn't be off-topic, but hey I'm new here, could be wrong. – Figroth Felanor Aug 2 at 13:03

The character is「嘘」.

Assuming that you've identified the furigana correctly, I can't think of a word where「嘘」has a reading「に」. However, I also think that furigana are usually written on the right, not on the left as specified in the question.

I guess this is a question of character decomposition:

• 「嘘{きょ・こ}」is made from

• Semantic「口」(mouth, referring to some action by the mouth)

• Phonetic「虚{きょ・こ}」(referring to the on'yomi), which is made from

• Phonetic「虍{こ}」 (not「广」). As reinforcement,「虍{こ}」is also the phonetic of 「虎{こ}」.
      • Semantic「丘」(large hill mound), now appearing as「业」inside the character「虚」in Japanese Shinjitai.「虚」originally meant large mound, but this is not relevant to the modern meaning.
  • FYI: Character components should generally not be called radicals. Radicals are dictionary section headers, and don't specify what characters are actually composed from. – droooze Aug 2 at 13:09
  • Ah yes thanks. I think I mistook the mouth component as the furigana (well I wasn't entirely certain one way or another, it was just a hypothesis). And thanks for the note on the radicals. Will keep that in mind. – Figroth Felanor Aug 2 at 13:12
  • @FigrothFelanor oh, right, now that I look at it I can see why you saw that as「に」. – droooze Aug 2 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.