In a TV show, I heard the following exchange:

Man: 生ビール

Izakaya owner: 大?中?

Man: 大で

I thought で was used to talk about location, so I'm a bit confused.

What does で mean in this case?

There is a very interesting poll conducted by NHK regarding how different age groups "feel" about this 「で」, especially when selecting an item from a huge list of things. The graph at the bottom of this page looks stunning. nhk.or.jp/bunken/summary/kotoba/term/167.html – l'électeur Aug 3 at 2:53
  • So what would be the 'safe' way to indicate a large beer? – rjh Aug 7 at 13:45

This "で" is used for decision-making situation.

For example, you and your friends are talking about when to go traveling.

Your friend: いつ旅行に行く?来週もしくは再来週?

When are we going on trip? Next week or the week after next week?

Me: 再来週で。

Okay, then. Let us leave on the next week after next week.

Your example sentence also describes which one to choose large or medium size of beer. Then, Man chose large one.

Man: 生ビール

Izakaya owner: 大?中?

Man: 大で

• Do you know if the use of the で esp in the trip example is used locally somewhere, or is it all over Japan? While I feel like the writer of the blog mentioned below, I have not been that much exposed to the saying. banban.hatenablog.com/entry/… – Tuomo Aug 1 at 13:31
    @Tuomo What you are asking "でいい" and "で" seem different things to me. You might need to make question here though., I will answere here. "再来週でいいよ" means I make up mind going on trip on the week after next week at this moment but I might change my mind. in the future. "再来週がいいよ" means I would like to go on trip on the week after next week. – kimi Tanaka Aug 1 at 13:41
  • Thank you! I will need to digest this further (while acknowleging that my comment was a bit misleading), that is, yes, the trip example was not about でいい (while, I think that beer example may have been), but I still personally wouldn't use で in either of them. – Tuomo Aug 1 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.