Hello I am wondering about かつ. I got this sentence below. For context I put the line before the one I am asking about.

でも 金で解決できるならそうすべきだ。

何より その道のプロに任せた方が美しいし合理的かつ経済も回る。

Does かつ mean "and" here perhaps? As for the rest of the sentence it's kind of difficult to translate as well, I might be completely off. But maybe along the lines of: More importantly, relying on the professionals of their line of business make the beautiful rationality and economy go around.

edit: I somehow missed the し, after 美しい. That is why I was confused when translating even more..

「何{なに}より その道{みち}のプロに任{まか}せた方{ほう}が美{うつく}しいし合理的{ごうりてき}かつ経済{けいざい}も回{まわ}る。」

「かつ/且{か}つ」 = "moreover", "as well as", "besides", "and", etc. This word is very often written in kana.

Your TL:

"More importantly, relying on the professionals of their line of business make the beautiful rationality and economy go around."

That is a nice try, but the original surely does not say "beautiful rationality". The 「し」 in 「美しい」 is a conjunctive.

My TL:

"More importantly, leaving it to the pros in the field would make it prettier, and it will be more rational; moreover, it will help the economy go around as well."

Note: I used "prettier" not knowing what kind of work/job/task it is talking about. You have the whole context, so feel free to change that part to fit it.

• Hey I totally missed the し there, my bad! That totally changes things indeed, I thought it was weird. Thank you so much for answering my question about the meaning of かつ. – user342453 Jul 31 at 8:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.