I understand that you need to use て to connect two verbs but all the example I have seen are like 起きて、コーヒーを飲んだ . There's always a more "complete" sentence for the action that follows the first verb. Is this sentence, あぁ連れて帰って くれたんだね, just omitting the subject (you) and saying "Thank you for taking and bringing her home."? Of course the second verb is in て form as well do to ~てくれる conjugation.

Anyways, that is the only way I can interpret it. Whenever I try and find a similar sentence online by searching for "two verbs connected with て or something similar" I get sentences like this 起きて、コーヒーを飲んだ .

コーヒ > コーヒー; 飲みた > 飲んだ – Leebo Jul 29 at 23:39
  • What do you mean by "complete" sentence? What do you think is the difference between 起きて飲む and 連れて帰る? What makes 連れて帰る "incomplete"? – naruto Jul 30 at 4:16
    Maybe the point of @UCProgrammer was that it is not logical to split the 連れて帰って into separate actions like 連れる and 帰る but they only convey the [correct meaning] when used as a set, ie 連れ帰る works as [or maybe should be considered or maybe actually is] one single verb. If, so, one probably just needs to memorize these. I would say that 連れ[て]帰る is a really extreme example, and then there are the ones like 乗り遅れる which I guess would fall somewhere in between 起きて飲む and 連れ帰る. – Tuomo Jul 30 at 13:50
  • @Tuomo you are correct.First, I understand that they are complete sentences but it just seems a bit odd to me mainly due to my lack of exposure to "short sentences" like that. I was looking at the english translation which was automatically provided for the sentence, "AH, YOU BROUGHT HER BACK FOR ME", and it added a bit to my confusion since the word "and" was never used. Had it been in the form, 連れ帰る, I would have probably understood it. Now I know that there are more ways of saying one thing though. Thank you for the help. – UCProgrammer Jul 30 at 15:41

The verbs are connected in て-form is to emphasize that you do A first before you do B.

連れて帰る means to bring and go home.

Some other examples are:

• 聞いて来る: To ask and come (ask and return; go somewhere else to ask is implied)
  • 食べて帰る: To eat and go home
  • して見る: To do and see (basically means try)
  • 連れて行く: To bring and go

The latter verb changes to Te-form too when you are asking someone else to do it or just the same as Te-form that you've been learning so far.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.