Here is my sentence, ドアの所にかさを立てておきます. I've seen this の所 usage where it didn't quite make sense in other readings as well. This specific reading is from the tango n4 book and they have the english translation as, "I stood my umbrella by the door." 所 can mean place or spot. Is it common in Japanese to add this on to specific locations? So while ドアにかさを立てておきます may be acceptable, the usage of の所 in ドアの所にかさを立てておきます is the more common way of saying a target location in certain situations. Would that be correct?

"I stood my umbrella by the door." ← 「立てておきます」 is talking about immediate future. – l'électeur Jul 29 at 14:46

「ドアの所{ところ}にかさを立{た}てておきます。」

You have pretty much answered your own question. 「~~の所」 means the same thing as 「~~のすぐ近{ちか}く」 or 「~~のそば」, which would be "in close proximity to ~~" in English.

This 「ところ」 is used heavily by the native speakers, so you will keep encountering it.

Not that you would need to know at this stage, but we often pronounce 「~~のところ」 as 「~~とこ」 in colloquial speech. Thus, you will hear us say 「ドアんとこ」.

Without using 「の所」, the sentence:

「ドアにかさをたてておきます。」

is grammatical, but it means "I will stand the umbrella (directly) against the door." People generally would not do that for obvious reasons.

• Thank you so much! This の所 usage has been something that has bothered me for a little while now. – UCProgrammer Jul 29 at 14:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.