What does it mean to have も plus the て form and きて?A translation gives me “Now that it’s snowing...” so does するもしてきて mean “Now that it’s X...”? Or is there another meaning to it?

This is a combination of three grammar points, namely も, -てくる and sentence-end te-form.

1. 雪が降る。
    It snows.
  2. 雪が降ってきた
    It started to snow.
  3. 雪が降ってきて…
    It started to snow, and/so ...
  4. 降ってきて…
    It even/also started to snow, and/so ...
    • が/は is replaced with も to describe the nuance of "on top of that".
  • thank you for this! so if て can indicate cause or training (from the second link you provided) when would you use it instead of から or ので? – jacoballens Aug 1 at 13:15
  • @jacoballens から/ので is very explicit 'because', but て is milder and close to 'and'. See: learn-japanese-adventure.com/te-form-cause-reason.html – naruto Aug 1 at 13:22

Some context would help!

Anyway the も and て are sometimes used in that way describing a series of events, with a kind of an unstated tone of [Already this, I wonder what will happen next?]

So, the sentence in the title could eg come from someone who has first said:

The weather forecast really got it wrong this time. They said this was supposed to be a nice, warm and sunny winter day, but it's so cold, and can't see the sun anywhere! ... [Look!] now it even started to snow, [I bet we will soon get a thunderstorm as well!]

[ほら!] 雪も降ってきて [きっともうすぐ雷にもなるだろう]

I think the asker also wants to know what くる means as a helping verb here. – Leebo Jul 29 at 0:15
  • @Tuomo the sentence in the title was the first thing said, haha. it was in a video at the very beginning – jacoballens Jul 29 at 1:18
  • @Leebo that’s correct! – jacoballens Jul 29 at 1:44
  • OK, so くる was used to say "started" (it started to snow), ie same as 振り始めた. Why きて instead of きた could mean e.g. that the dialogue / monologue continues after that statement, or that the person is implying abut some "action" / "conclusion" to take place as a result of the snow (eg a father or mother being at a playground with a kid and then telling the kid that they should go back home). – Tuomo Jul 29 at 1:57
    I think it's misleading to say that てくる is the same as [masu-stem]+はじめる. Here is a question that deals with ていく and てくる japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/676/… – Leebo Jul 29 at 2:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.