I have come across sentence and I understand what its trying to say, but I don't understand why に is used with 特別. I was really expecting a の particle instead to modify related noun phrase 旅のサポート

Why wouldn't it be の? Why is it に?

今回は特別旅のサポートをしてくれる方も来てるんです

My translation: This time, there are even people coming who will provide special trip support!

「今回{こんかい}は特別{とくべつ}( )旅{たび}のサポートをしてくれる方{かた}も来{き}てるんです。」

What particles can we correctly use in the blank in the sentence above?

The answer is 「な」 and 「に」. I am afraid that 「の」 is not a natural-sounding choice here.

「特別」 functions adjectivally to modify nouns only. In this sentence, it can modify either 「旅」 or 「サポート」.

「特別」 functions adverbially to modify verbs and adjectives. In this particular sentence, it can modify either 「してくれる」 or 「来てる」.

The author/speaker's choice is 「に」, which means that s/he wanted to use 「特別に」 adverbially. S/he wanted to say 「特別にサポートしてくれる」 or 「特別に来てる(んです)」. Which one it is, it is difficult to tell without further context, but I will add that either interpretation would be natural here.

• So does this mean that all な-adjectives can use に as a substitute to modify the verb? I have come across another similar example, where its 安全に: 運転の方はプロですから、安全に釣り場で連れて行ってくれますよ! My Translation: Because they're a professional driver, he will safely take us to a fishing spot. I see in Jisho that 安全 is classified as a な-adjective, but not a "normal" adjective. So I'm not sure if I can use the same grammar construction as the one you described in your answer – Tylersansan Jul 27 at 18:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.