The title may not be so clear, here is what I mean:

々 is used to avoid repeating a kanji. In some cases, the two may not be pronounced the same because the first consonant of the second kanji is voiced (e.g. [時]{とき}[々]{どき}), but they still have the same reading.

Are there cases where the two have different readings (kun'yomi and on'yomi, or two different kun or two different on)?

I wouldn't necessarily say 々 is used to avoid having to write the same kanji again, but rather to make it clear that the word is obtained by duplication of a character — moreover the reading should be doubled (with rendaku where applicable).

For example, 日本国語大辞典 (via kotobank.jp) has

のま【々】

(「々」が、かたかなの「ノ」と「マ」を組み合わせたように見えるところからの通称。「ノマ」とかたかなで表記する) 同じ漢字が続いて繰り返されるとき、第二字に代えて用いる記号で、読みは第一字に従う。漢字の「繰り返し記号」で、重字、畳字ともいい、かたかなの「ヽ」、ひらがなの「ゝ」とともに「おどり字」の一種。その形は「仝」の変形ともいわれるが、中国でも用いられていた二点
enter image description here
が日本で変化して出来たものか。同の字点。

日本国語大辞典 via kotobank.jp, emphasis added

Whether you take it as a hard rule or not, I don't think anyone would think it a good idea to use 々 when then reading of the kanji is different.

For example, one usually writes

• 日々 hibi
  • 日にち hinichi

In principle both can also be written 日日 (which they usually aren't for disambiguation), but I don't think that 日々 would ever be used to mean 日にち.

Just for fun, there is of course 明々後日 shiasatte, but this is probably not what you had in mind.

Yes. For example, here are two places in Chiba:

• 酒々井 (しすい)
  • 行々林 (おどろばやし)

You could also make arguments for 神々廻 (ししば), too.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.