I'm reading a book and the author keeps using the spelling "一つひとつ" for "one-by-one". I found this a bit curious: The word itself is just a doubled 一つ, so why not spell both parts the same? Does writing it that way convey a certain nuance which 一つ一つ or 1つ1つ do not?

• There are different factions (or style books). Some people actually like the spelling 一つ一つ. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 23 '19 at 2:59
    @broccoliforest Do you know a style book/guideline that formally recommends 一つひとつ? – naruto Jul 23 '19 at 4:16
  • @naruto No, merely a conjecture. – broccoli facemask - cloth Jul 23 '19 at 4:39

This is a matter of personal taste. If the author did this intentionally, I believe they were trying to emphasize the nuance of ひとつひとつ by covering various possible spellings. Similar examples include 長いながい道 and すき、好き、大スキ. One may also argue that switching kanji/kana too much in a single word is visually displeasing, but I personally doubt that is the main reason.

Here are the hit counts of BCCWJ:

• ひとつひとつ: 604
  • 一つ一つ: 1005
  • 一つひとつ: 293
  • ひとつ一つ: 5

EDIT: This is not limited to 一つひとつ...

• おそるおそる: 224; 恐る恐る: 193; 恐るおそる: 9; おそる恐る: 0
  • おもいおもい: 2; 思い思い: 183; 思いおもい: 9; おもい思い: 0
  • かさねがさね: 8; 重ね重ね: 24; 重ねがさね: 3; かさね重ね: 0
  • たびたび: 823; 度々: 354; 度たび: 4; たび度: 0

Maybe the users of 度たび/恐るおそる are treating the second part somewhat like a long okurigana...? I personally do not do this, but it is true that there are writers who like this style.

| improve this answer | |

According to this answer: "漢字{かんじ}ではじまり平仮名{ひらがな}で終{お}わる表記{ひょうき}が、日本語{にほんご}として読{よ}みやすいということのようです。"; It is because it makes Japanese easier to read.

The answer had a link to the webpage where it was explained by a professor but it seems like that page is no longer or else I would have read the page myself.

Source: https://oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/2185824.html

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.