I have found that many words are only used in hiragana and because of this i can't seem to find a good way to learn them as i am studying words that use kanji due to the site i am using. Like-ごめんなさい, そうか, etc. are these type of words given a type of name?

  • 1
    I think you have a typo -- rather than ごめんあさい, I think you mean ごめんなさい? – Eiríkr Útlendi Jul 16 '19 at 16:35
  • 1
    I think you also wrote "romaji" where you meant to write either "kana" or "hiragana" (though it isn't actually true that 御免{ごめん} is always written in kana). – Nanigashi Jul 16 '19 at 18:06
  • It’s not exactly an answer, but if you use the search term “かな書き” in the 明鏡 dictionary (using the 全文 functionality), you will get a nice list of words that are usually written using kana (because it matches the “【表記】かな書きが多い” note in the entries). – Darius Jahandarie Jul 17 '19 at 3:43
  • There are two kinds of such words. (Recent, non-Chinese) loanwords do not have kanji at all (or rather artificially through atemi). Some words historically had kanji which are seldom used today. – Mathieu Bouville Jul 17 '19 at 8:48

To my knowledge, there is no term that specifically means "word usually written in kana". In modern standard Japanese, Western-origin loanwords are almost always written in katakana. Particles, adverbs and interjections tend to be written in hiragana. Learning words based only on kanji may not be a good idea because of this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.