I already know there is the adjective iroiro+na, and I've learned that, but recently I've learned that iroiro+to and iroiro+no are different ways to use "iroiro", which I have not learned in class, yet I've already finished the course... I can't really find an answer online though. Any explanation will help.

Thank you.

The footnoted answer to your question leads to a distinction between the adjectival “-na” and adverbial “-to” suffixes.

I stumbled into an expression which seems to be a hybrid. In the Netflix version of 僕だけがいない街, Episode #1, Satoru’s mother tells him she’s there to help him after he was injured in a traffic accident. She points out, 「いろいろと不便だべさ」.

This puzzled me “bigly“. Having said that, I think there’s a clue in this use of “big” as an adverb. As in, “It’s variously inconvenient.”

BTW, the title of the show on Netflix is “Erased”.

| improve this answer | |
  • Interesting, thanks for this hahaha. Btw i – GlimGlamGloom Jul 17 at 6:20
  • -Just pressed post by accident. I saw that show. Liked it. Hated the ending. – GlimGlamGloom Jul 17 at 6:20
  • Thanks! I use Netflix USA shows to study Japanese. Takes me forever to retype the Japanese captions into a study sheet. I line them up next to the easily downloadable English subtitles and marvel at how misleading they are! Great education. Before I am accused of thread drift, I’ll look for a thread where we can discuss the joys of using Netflix USA for study. Will continue discussion there. – Ojiwankenobi Jul 20 at 1:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.