I think that there is a typo in the line and it should be 才能の有無があるなら多分そういう事だろう, however, in either case I am not quite sure what is being said. Here's the exchange for context:

わ、私だって努力してるのよ!でも…アンタ達みたいに才能ないから

努力は創意工夫だ。ただやればいいってもんじゃない。才能に有無があるなら多分そういう事だろう

The wording isn't very comfortable for me. Do you have the context after? – broccoli forest Jul 16 at 5:06

This is a reference to so-called 正しく努力する才能 ("talent to make a correct effort"). そういう事 refers to what he just said (努力は創意工夫だ。ただやればいいってもんじゃない).

才能に有無があるなら多分そういう事だろう。

If there is a distinction between "talented" and "no talent", it probably amounts to such a fact.

(Free translation) If there is something called a talent, that's about understanding how to make an effort effectively.

So the guy is saying that 私だって努力してる is not an excuse because improper 努力 is meaningless. The guy is also implying a right effort comes with a good result.

EDIT: 才能有無がある is not a typo, and this に is just an (abstract) location marker used with ある/いる/etc. A very literal translation is "If there is (a distinction between) presence and absence​ in talent".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.