While trying to write about an experiment I have done, I am having trouble deciding which words are appropriate for describing what I want to describe.

In non-scientific English, precise, and accurate have mostly overlapping meaning, as evidenced by the jisho entry for 正確 containing all three.

However, when using these words in a formal setting, the difference in meaning becomes more apparent. I was hoping to know if anyone has knowledge on what Japanese words would be used or how they are used to convey a similar difference while speaking Japanese.

A brief delineation of what I consider the differences between the three words:

accuracy: A measure of how much a method/machine gives repeated results clustered around the true answer.

precision: A measure of how much a measurement method/machine gives repeated results close to each other.

(These are the nouns rather than the adjectives, but I found the nouns less wordy to define)

See image for visualization:

illustration of the differences of precision and accuracy

So, if anyone has insight into how to express these terms in Japanese, both accurately and precisely, that would be appreciated!

Edit: If there is also common words for the opposite of these concepts (i.e. inaccurate or imprecise) those would be useful too.

I think you mean 正確, not 性格. In any case, I went to the Wikipedia article titled "Accuracy and Precision" and changed the language to Japanese. ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – Leebo Jul 12 at 4:16
  • Yep! I pressed that enter key too fast, my bad – katatahito Jul 12 at 4:18

In scientific contexts where accuracy and precision are clearly distinguished, use:

• accurate = 正確(な); accuracy = 正確性/正確度
  • precise = 精密(な); precision = 精密性/精密度

精度 is also used to translate precision, but since it's defined inconsistently in some areas, I personally do not prefer this term when the distinction is important.

Reference: 正確度と精度

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.