I'm trying to construct a short post for my social media, in Japanese, because many of our customers are Japanese.

I don't want to make a mess.

I am using a quote from a Japanese review left on Tripadvisor from a customer. I want to know if this is the correct way to express it is a quote from Tripadvisor, because I don't understand how to use the quote marks in Japanese correctly!

This is the original text:

本格的アルゼンチン料理で、美味しい肉を堪能させて頂きました。tripadvisorのレビュー

So do I just use these marks to make it into a quote? And then state the origin of the quote? 「」

e.g

「本格的アルゼンチン料理で、美味しい肉を堪能させて頂きました。」tripadvisorのレビュー

Because I read on another site that I may need to add some other characters...

enter image description here

• What's that you intend to write in English? – broccoli forest Jul 11 at 7:58
  • As far as the quotation mark usage goes, the way you have it written is fine. – By137 Jul 11 at 9:38
  • Hi Broccoli forest, thanks for replying, I want to write in Japanese, but Ii am taking a section of the whole review and placing it in a different format (as a quote) so I just want to make sure that I have structured it correctly with the quote marks and the Tripadvisor origin statement. – Kat and Pancho Jul 11 at 11:20
  • Thanks By137, so no extra characters necessary to express its a quote? – Kat and Pancho Jul 11 at 11:20
  • Good to see how the phrasing is used in context (your provided image). If I may suggest an improvement to the typesetting – Setris Jul 13 at 3:05

and are the most basic Japanese quotation marks, so what you are doing is basically correct. In addition, you can just use the "English-style" quotation marks, too:

“本格的アルゼンチン料理で、美味しい肉を堪能させて頂きました。” — Tripadviserのレビュー

The difference is not large, but IMHO this style looks even slightly better in your case. Japanese people use various types of quotation marks, and they are used according to the situation (or personal taste, to some extent). In this case, the article itself is about an Argentine restaurant, so Western-origin punctuation is welcome.

Western people somehow love to place quotes everywhere (e.g., at the end of a movie trailer, at the beginning of each chapter of a novel, at the start of a UNIX session, ...), but this habit itself already looks more or less "foreign" to the eyes of Japanese people, and Western-style quotation marks have been popular in such cases. For example, this article is about how to design a good-looking <blockquote> with CSS, and you can see how the "double-comma" icon is widely recognized as an indicator of quote.

• Thank you so much! That was a really useful explanation, thank you Naruto. Ive added the final post so you can see how it looks. Thanks again for everyones help! – Kat and Pancho Jul 12 at 8:49
  • @KatandPancho Your image looks very good :) – naruto Jul 13 at 4:58
  • thanks @Naruto! – Kat and Pancho Jul 13 at 11:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.