I am making some shiratama mochi and want to know if I have to scoop the mochi out after they rise, or 1-2 minutes after they rise:

だんごが浮{う}きあがって1~2分してから順{じゅん}にすくいあげ、冷水{れいすい}にとって、さまします。

My first thought was that I am meant to wait until 1-2 minutes after the dango has risen before scooping it into cold water, but the presence of ~てから makes me suspect that the 1~2分 is actually an approximation of how long it will take for the dango to rise.

Also, optional bonus question since the は and が differences always challenge me:

Why is が being used instead of は, and would using は instead change anything?

1 Answer 1

When a series of actions is listed with the verbs in the ~て conjunctive form, the list can parse out to "[VERB], then [VERB], then [VERB]..."

Years ago, a friend of mine at work laughed after getting off the phone with his wife, when he realized that she'd explained her day using almost entirely ~て-form verbs. My memory is fuzzy, but it was something like,

連れて行って話して、帰って食べて寝た。

"With [someone], we went, and talked, then [I? we?] returned home and ate and had a nap."

Here's your sample sentence:

だんごが浮{う}きあがって1~2分してから順{じゅん}にすくいあげ、冷水{れいすい}にとって、さまします。

Let's break this up.

だんごが浮{う}きあがっ

The dango float up, and then...

1~2分してから

after giving it another 1 to 2 minutes, then...

順{じゅん}にすくいあげ、冷水{れいすい}にとっ

scooping them out in order (i.e. in the order in which they floated up), put them in cold water, and...

さまします。

cool them off.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .