I was watching a 45 second video, but ran into some trouble with the above. I will post the entire subtitles for context purposes.

テレビ番組を勝手にアップロードするのは違法だからな
10年以下の懲役か1000万円以下の罰金か、その両方だが
それって受験に関係ありますか
受験だけが人生じゃないだろう、お前
でもまだ未成年です
未成年自慢すんなよ、お前
未成年だろうが成人だろうが、違法なものは違法なんだぞ
でも10年の懲役って重くないですか?
重いかどうか今一概に言えることじゃないなぁ
とにかく、違法な事はやっちゃあいけないってことだ
なんだ、おれ説教臭いか?
おれ説教臭いか?
おれ説教臭いか?
説教臭いと思う奴?
[音楽]
それ、違法です!!

Disclaimer: English subs below may not be correct

It's illegal to freely upload TV shows.
By law you can get up to 10 years of hard labor... ...10 million yen in fines... ...or you could get both.
Does that have anything to do with the exam?
Exams are not the only things in life, mind you.
But we are still minors.
Do not boast about being a minor, you.
Whether be it a minor or an adult, illegal acts are illegal.
But isn't 10 years of imprisonment with hard labor excessive?
It is not something that can generally be said categorically whether it is heavy or not!
Anyway, do not do illegal acts.
What is it, am I being preachy?
Am I being preachy?
Am I being preachy?
Who thinks I'm being too preachy?
[Music]
That's illegal!

• I can't find the text in your question in the provided text, so I am not sure how this is providing context at all. – psosuna Jul 10 at 21:03
  • Turns out my eyes were reading over the question text a little too fast and I had just missed the phrase. Thank you for the link as well. – psosuna Jul 11 at 16:24

一概に on its own is not "unconditionally" but "collectively" or "generically". 一概に言う/一概に述べる means "to say (something) collectively" or "to describe a generalized rule/answer/characteristic".

• 一概に言う: to describe (something) collectively
  • 一概に言える: to be able to describe (something) collectively
  • 一概に言えること: (relative clause) something that one can describe collectively

Therefore 一概に言えることじゃない means "It's not something I can describe collectively" or "It's hard to give a generalized rule/answer". 今 before it is just "for now".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.