I often see people use in twitter smth like「ゴクリ」, usually in the end of the sentence. What does it mean?

ゴクリ (ごくり) is an onomatopoeia for swallowing down something once, in this case, saliva (*gulp*). It is used to suggest that someone sees something "tasty", or holds breath expecting something. Written in halfwidth katakana in the end of a sentence because it is a long-standing format for short text elements in Japanese memes. While the onomatopoeia has many variants like ごくっ, ごっくり etc., I have only seen it in particular forms ゴク or ゴクリ as internet slang.

• It's also sometimes used to indicate an anxiety/worry (e.g. after doing something wrong). – Andrew T. Jul 9 at 14:06
  • "traditional Japanese meme style", do you mean memes have a traditional style or traditional japanese is used in memes? Or something else? – Teleporting Goat Jul 9 at 15:30
  • I believe that broccoli means that it is in the style traditionally employed when writing memes in Japanese. – Rebecca Nelson Jul 9 at 15:35
  • @TeleportingGoat & RebeccaNelson I'm still not sure how to put it accurately. Is the edited one clearer? – broccoli forest Jul 10 at 2:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.