I'm practicing particles as well as general grammar and I'm wondering if this is an accurate translation of the English statement: "I like sunshine, candy, and apples."

私は日光やキャンディやりんごが好きです。

I have two questions beyond "Is this right?":

• Do I need to put commas in between the nouns even though they're separated by the particle (や)?

• In the original English statement, I used the conjunction "and" (そして), is this needed?

No, don't put commas after the nouns because that is not how commas are used in Japanese. At least not when you're using the particles to denote a listing, but that is a completely different story altogether.

The way you have it written is perfectly fine. One thing to note is that や implies a partial listing, while と a complete listing.

As for そして, that one is used to express a sequence of loosely connected events. I barely use it in spoken Japanese, because I feel it's too stiff. Unless you wanted to stress the fact that something happened after another action, you're better off using the て form of verbs to link sentences.

Instead of this, for example:

[仕事帰り]{しごとがえり}にコンビニに[寄る]{よる}。そして[晩ご飯]{ばんごはん}を[買う]{かう}。 I'll stop by the convenience store on the way from work and buy dinner.

you'd be better of saying this:

[仕事帰り]{しごとがえり}にコンビニに[寄]{よ}って[晩ご飯]{ばんごはん}を[買う]{かう}。

Hope that helps!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.