Why is this i-adjective conjugated to the て form at the end of the sentence? Why not just leave it as 珍しい?

The only use I know for て form adjectives is so you can chain them together, but there is no other adjective here.

田舎育ちだからコンビニが珍しくてさ。

Convince Stores are rare, because I grew up in the country.

I write my opinion as a Japanese native speaker. My major is not linguistics.

I think ”田舎育ちだからコンビニが珍しい” is also correct expression. but leaving “”珍しい” feels more literary style.

I think your sentence come from daily conversations (sentence-ending particle “さ” is mostly using in conversation ). So the sentence “田舎育ちだからコンビニが珍しくてさ” has a context. Japanese language is called high context language. In this case, I think there are other events or conversations that cause your sentence. for example,

person A「へぇ、なんでも売ってるんだね。」
person B「コンビニはどこもこんな感じじゃない?」
person A「田舎育ちだからコンビニが珍しくてさ。」

In this example, what person A want to say is that 田舎育ちだからコンビニが珍しくて驚いた. So the i-adjective is conjugated.

• The context of this conversation was that the person moved to a big city for work, so your explanation makes sense to me. Thanks! – Tylersansan Jul 8 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.