I am currently translating some content regarding Aikido, and have been getting stuck on how to translate 綺麗 (きれい) in the following context:

しっかりとした、綺麗な半身を作ることを心がけて下さい。

It's discussing a bodily position where the body is standing nearly profile (sideways) to an opponent or partner. I don't believe that describing the position as "beautiful", "neat", or "tidy" would express it in the context here. I'm tempted towards "clear", or even with some interpretive license, "composed".

I've heard reference in martial arts to having a "clean stance", presumably that would work in this context. – Eiríkr Útlendi Jul 2 at 20:27

I think your choice of "clear" is fair. This 綺麗 means "well-formed; matching the prescriptive form (which gives a stylish impression)". You can see some cognitive relation with "beautiful" or "tidy" sense as well. "Clean" that @EiríkrÚtlendi suggested is equally good.

綺麗なコード clean (source) code
綺麗な六角形 perfect hexagon
綺麗なイギリス英語 clear British accent

• Thank you, in the end I accepted "clear", resulting in: "Please try to take a sturdy and clear hanmi." "Hanmi" being an established term in our working glossary, referring to a profiled position, so that bit remained in romaji. – Atemi Jul 4 at 14:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.