Some girls in the Japanese school I study in are planing to do a Maid Cafe, which my teacher have sent me a message inviting me to take part into saying 「メイド喫茶に参加してみませんか?」. Honestly, I don't think I'm fit for the role, so I thought in a polite way to refusing him. I have thought about many different phrases, and now I think phrases like 「んん、私はそのような事があまり得意じゃないから、それはちょっと…。すみません。」or「んん、私はそのような事があまり得意じゃないから、それはちょっと無理です。すみません。」would be appropriate. I plan sending the first one, but I would like to know if using 無理 is unpolite and which other ways would be better to refuse an offer and recognize the other's efforts. I have seen people using 「気持ちはうれしいけど…」, but it seems way too personal to me.

I know he is my teacher and all, but the first semester has already ended and he won't be my teacher anymore next semester, so I would like to write properly.

As you mentioned, 無理 is bit too straight and I would avoid using it in a conversation with a teacher. I think your first phrase,

んん、私はそのような事があまり得意じゃないから、それはちょっと…。すみません。

sounds more polite. Although this phrase is fine in a spoken language, it is bit too vague in a text/email message. I would use 遠慮 instead of 無理 and say something like「誘っていただきありがとうございます。ただ、私はそのような事があまり得意でないので、申し訳ないのですが今回は遠慮させていただきます。」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.