Good day folks,

Basically been studying for 3 months already here in Tokyo. Using minna no nihongo book in our school. I am just wondering because I stumbled upon もうしこみます which means "to apply".

When I was playing with google translate, I wanted to say something like "I want to apply for your company", and the word おうぼする came up. I tried searching the net for their differences, but couldn't find any. if anyone can help, please do so. Any output is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

The kanji 応 in 応募 means "to respond", and 募 here means 募集 ("recruitment", "public request for application"). Therefore, 応募 is used only for something that is publicly "called for", such as a job recruitment, a competition, an audition, a volunteer activity, or a magazine sweepstakes. There is usually a selection process, and you usually don't have to pay just for 応募.

申し込む has a broader sense. You can use 申し込む for all the examples above. You can use only 申し込む when you start an ordinary business transaction, such as buying a cell phone, reserving a hotel, claiming for insurance money, or issuing a passport.

Note that there are some specific and better words in some fields, such as 出願 (for applying for admission to a school) and 投稿 (for submitting a manuscript).

It is about the nature of the "application". もうしこむ is typically used for a situation where the recipient of your application is closer to a "vendor", and sometimes it can be translated as "subscribe", like subscribing to Netflix.

おうぼ is used when you are closer to being the "vendor", and thus applying for a job requires おうぼ, since you are "the vendor". But it is not only about which way cash flows, ie I think that you would probably use おうぼ e.g. when applying for membership of some yacht club.

• To add, as you mentioned you are studying, despite what I wrote above, if you want to talk about applying to some school, I think you would use neither, unless it would be e.g. some on-line course where everyone is welcome to join, or unless the selection process was done through a lottery. What is the right term in this case, I don't know but someone will hopefully tell soon. For scholarships, now on thin ice, but I would go for おうぼ – Tuomo Jun 30 at 13:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.