I was learning the uses of 場合は from japanesetest4you.com (in the sense "in the event of"), and couldn't help but notice that, although it behaves like a noun, its uses with adjectives were not listed. I've seen some examples where it is used with い-adjectives on tatoeba.org, so I just wanted to confirm nonetheless: is a constructions of the form 熱い場合 (if it is hot) correct? As for な-adjectives, which construction out of 静かな場合 and 静かの場合 (if it is quiet) is correct?

Yes, 場合 is often used like that, but keep in mind that while it can be used to express a condition, it can also just mean 'case' e.g. 熱い場合もある="there are cases where it's hot". – user22701 Jun 29 at 13:56
  • @Komet Thank you, I will keep that in mind. On a side-note, just to be explicit, I have edited the part of my question concerning な-adjectives. – SystematicDisintegration Jun 29 at 13:57
  • Pure な-adjectives (like 静か) cannot be followed by の. Only 静かな場合 is correct. – user22701 Jun 29 at 13:59
  • @Komet I wanted to confirm because there are instances where a な-adjective is followed by some other modifying particle. For example, 「静かだそうだ」: "I heard it's quiet." – SystematicDisintegration Jun 29 at 14:04
  • な adjectives only have な attached in the 連体形 (attributive form, where it's modifying a noun). They can be conjugated in various other ways for other grammatical constructions. kokugobunpou.com/%E7%94%A8%E8%A8%80/… – Leebo Jun 29 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.