I am currently studying for the JLPT N3 exam and I come across the following rule that I don't really understand. んだもん

Although it is not identic, according to this link ~もん is

Used to reply dissatisfaction in very casual speech

Which kinds of makes a lot of sense according to the following example from the book:

「どうして食べないの」「だって、まずいんだもん」 (日本語総まとめ N3 p.71)

"Why didn't you eat?" "Because it tastes awful."

However, I don't see how it applies to the following example:

今日の試験、できなかった...。勉強しなかったんだもん、仕方がない。

I didn't do well on the test today. I can't complain because I didn't study much.

What is this rule actually used for and how does it take/make sense?

Extra information and links are welcomed

Thank you for your time.

Edit 1: Corrected the mistake mentionned.

Although んだ and もん are often used together, it's better to think of them as two separate grammatical elements.

んだ is a colloquial version of のだ, and this の is known as explanatory-の.

もん is a sentence-end particle that adds the nuance of "hey!", "come on!", "listen!", "you know", "I mean it", etc. Note that this sounds childish. It's used like so:

• 見たもん! (Hey,) I did see it!
  • 行くもん! (I insist,) I'll go!
  • できるもん! Come on, I can do it!

Put together, んだもん is used to emphatically describe a reason with emotion, like "Come on, it's because ~", "You know, ...", etc.

If your translation "I can't complain because I didn't study much." was correct, maybe the か in 勉強しなかった was a typo? If so, the sentence would be natural. Below I assume this was the case:

"Dissatisfaction" is a translation that often works, but there is no single one-to-one translation. In the 勉強 example, the meaning is to emphasize that <​while possibly regretting not having studied>, admitting that the poor success was caused by ones own lack of studying, and that the cause-effect was obvious. The もん stresses the obviousness, ie could also be translated as "what else can you expect if you don't study"

• I like the "what else can you expect". Kind of gives the sense to the sentence – Bog Jun 28 at 19:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.