Can we say, that だ and です are godan verbs with ru-ending, because they are just simplyfied versions of である and であります?

According to goo 辞書 dictionary.goo.ne.jp, だ and です are simply 助動詞 or じょどうし。 (helping or auxiliary verb)

I like goo 辞書 for the monolingual definitions.

ある is 動ラ五 meaning 動詞 (どうし)、ラ行 (ぎょう)、五段 (ごだん)。

To me, だ and です are not very verb-like.

It might not be useful to classify them.

I hope this helps!

• I understand that [da]/[desu] are auxiliary verbs, but they must come from something. They can not appear just from nowhere. For example, I have feeling, but I can not prove yet, that だろう [darou] and でしょう [deshyou] are just conjunction of [da]/[desu]. Maybe they all come from だる [daru] as ru-godan? In Jisho.org there is no だる [daru], but may be somewhen in the past だる [daru] was using instead of modern [da]/[desu]? – Tchibi-kun Jun 28 at 17:48
    @Tchibi-kun “Come from” and “are” are two very different things… – snailboat Jun 28 at 19:19
  • This question exists, also – requiredandshown Jun 28 at 19:32
  • Till now I've found in Jisho.org, that there is archaic verb たり or だり, which are not used anymore in thier [it is X] purpose. But that makes だ not ru-godan, but ri-godan. I guess it is insane idea, cause there are no ri-godans at all. But that would be funny. [I was a kid] instead of contemporary [子供だった] it would turn to [子供だらった]. – Tchibi-kun Jun 28 at 19:57
  • @requiredandshown I've read the article you've given. They say interesting idea, that [da] and [na] are the same rooted and both come from [nite-ari] or [te-ari]. Anyway, that makes them definettly not to be ichidans. – Tchibi-kun Jun 28 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.