Can someone help me understand if the difference in use between the form ます and the form て in this kind of sentence? 魚が泳いでいます。 (It's the same as when we say in English that we're doing something?) 魚が泳ぎます。
(It's like attesting a fact?)

@RJ Rossas, not knowing your Japanese level, the answer from mamster was brilliant, but at least I am a living example of a person to whom your simple rule of swim vs. swimming is enough and gets you through at least JLPT N1 (if you are in to those). So, がんばって! – Tuomo Jun 25 '19 at 5:32
  • Ha! I do tend to go on... – mamster Jun 25 '19 at 13:39

First off, the "て form" in Japanese refers to just the form 泳いで, or the form of the verb ending in て or で。When you write a verb like 泳いでいます, that's called te-iru/te-imasu form or sometimes "progressive form," although that can be misleading.

Your understanding is nearly correct. 魚が泳いでいます means "The fish is swimming." As in, right now, a particular fish is swimming.

魚が泳ぎます is a little trickier. It doesn't mean "Fish swim" as a general property of fish. That would be:

泳ぎます。

The は particle is used for attesting a well-known fact.

魚が泳ぎます most likely means one of these two things, and you'd need context to determine which one:

1. The fish will swim.
  2. It's the answer to the question 何が泳ぎますか。What swims? Fish swim.

Finally, the te-imasu form can be used for a habitual action, although it doesn't make sense in this case. But I could say 最近泳いでいます, meaning that I've been going swimming lately.

• So, if I have to describe something, like a action or a situation that's happening right now, or something that occurred with me in the past it's better to use the "て form"? – RJ Rossas Jun 26 '19 at 4:27
  • It really depends. Something that happened in the past could be described with a variety of conjugations depending on the context. Something happening right now, however, will almost always be ている form. – mamster Jun 26 '19 at 4:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.