What exactly means to describe someone saying "圧が強い" (atsu ga tsuyoi) . I know that's something related with "the person has a strong pressure" or "the pressure in that person is strong" but I was wondering about what is the real connotation for this expression.

Aside from its literal meaning, it has some tricky uses as slang, and it's hard to write a good answer without proper context. Please provide the full context including the full sentence. – naruto Jun 24 at 1:19
  • 「あの人圧が強いですね」 actually was in a very casual situation when someone was commenting absently about other person. I thought it could be a slang because I couldn't exactly the meaning. They are close friends so I don't believe is a bad thing. – RJ Rossas Jun 24 at 1:54

Basically this 圧 is a figurative and humorous expression that refers to one's "energy" or "aura". The implication of 圧が強い depends on the context. If it's negative, it implies "oppressing", "noisy and annoying", "scary", "over-confident and rude", etc. If it's neutral or positive, it implies "eager", "looks full of confidence", "has strong presence", etc. This is a rather recent slangy expression, and it's probably not included in a serious dictionary.

• Thank you! I'm having some problems with slangs lately. I started to learn the Formal language but the daily language is being hard to understand. – RJ Rossas Jun 24 at 2:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.