What exactly means to describe someone saying "圧が強い" (atsu ga tsuyoi) . I know that's something related with "the person has a strong pressure" or "the pressure in that person is strong" but I was wondering about what is the real connotation for this expression.

Aside from its literal meaning, it has some tricky uses as slang, and it's hard to write a good answer without proper context. Please provide the full context including the full sentence.
    – naruto
    Jun 24, 2019 at 1:19
  • 「あの人圧が強いですね」 actually was in a very casual situation when someone was commenting absently about other person. I thought it could be a slang because I couldn't exactly the meaning. They are close friends so I don't believe is a bad thing.
    – RJ Rossas
    Jun 24, 2019 at 1:54

1 Answer 1

Basically this 圧 is a figurative and humorous expression that refers to one's "energy" or "aura". The implication of 圧が強い depends on the context. If it's negative, it implies "oppressing", "noisy and annoying", "scary", "over-confident and rude", etc. If it's neutral or positive, it implies "eager", "looks full of confidence", "has strong presence", etc. This is a rather recent slangy expression, and it's probably not included in a serious dictionary.

• Thank you! I'm having some problems with slangs lately. I started to learn the Formal language but the daily language is being hard to understand.
    – RJ Rossas
    Jun 24, 2019 at 2:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .