In the song Diver by Nico Touches the Walls there is this line, そこまで行けそうなら. I have been scratching my head on this for years actually, just remembered it recently. I don't think I've seen anywhere else そう and なら used together. Should I just take it at face value, "if it seems like I can go there"? Which sounds bizzare.

And later on there is どこまで行けそうかな which makes a little more sense to me, "I wonder how far can I go", but just want to check I'm understanding this right. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the song and so don't know the context, but what's bizarre about "if it seems like I can go there" (or perhaps "if it seems like I can go that far")? It seems fine to me, in both Japanese and English, and there's certainly nothing unusual about the combination of 連用形 + そう + なら. – Nanigashi Jun 23 at 18:10

The literal translation is indeed "if it seems like I can go there". そうなら is a very common combination:

• 長くなりそうなら言ってください。
    If you think it's going to take time, tell me.
  • できそうならやってください。
    If it looks possible to you, please do it.

So the context is that he is seeing a subtle light (or "hope"), but it's very far, and he is still wondering which direction to go at this point. Read between the lines like "If I can go there, I should, but I'm not sure if I can".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.