I found two examples, and I think that I got the meaning but I'm not sure of its grammar. One is:"明日はお父さんも休みのことだし、 みんなで買い物でも行かない?" since tomorrow your father is free too, why don't we go all together to do shopping?

The other one is the following:"来週は客様が来ることだし、家のなかの大掃除をしなくちゃ". Since the next will be coming a guest we have to do the big cleaning in the house"

Your understanding of the sentences is essentially correct :) but I'll just provide a little more explanation to try and help and clarify the nuance.

ことだし is essentially an extension of the conjunctive 〜し, specifically the use of し for listing causes/reasons. (There's a post on all the usages of conjunctive 〜し here, if you aren't familiar with them: https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/59151/33435)

The difference between 〜ことだし and 〜し is that the reasoning is be marked as more "objective" in the ことだし case. As a result, something with ことだし comes across a bit more logical, and stiff/rigid in tone. On the other hand, for the case of し without the ことだ, it is more relaxed as to the causal relationship being implied.

I think because the causal relationship is fairly clear, your translation of ことだし as "since" is good.

On your specific translation, I might consider changing how you translate 休み and 大掃除 depending on context and/or to sound more natural:

明日はお父さんも休みのことだし、 みんなで買い物でも行かない?

Tomorrow, since your father also has a day off, why don't we all go shopping?

来週は客様が来ることだし、家のなかの大掃除をしなくちゃ。

Next week, since there is a guest coming, we have to do some spring cleaning/a major cleanup of the inside of the house.

Hope that helps!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.