So I've read this article about 「ては」 "Te-form" versus "masu-stem + して" (消しているうちに versus 消ししているうちに)

then I understand that there are 2 meanings. First is "Repeated/Habitual action"

and the next one is "AてはB tends to be treated like a noun especially when two verbs are short and commonly paired"

Therefore I think "追いかけては" in「追いかけては来ないでしょう」acts as a noun

Is it right. Is this "追いかけては" in this sentence same feeling as "追いかけるのは" ?

No, in this example 追いかけては is not functioning as a noun, and in fact I don't think this is an example of ては as it's explained in the article you linked to at all. I believe this is an instance in which は has simply been inserted to add emphasis:

追いかけてこないでしょう

"They probably won't chase us," "He probably won't come after us," etc.

becomes

追いかけてこないでしょう

"They probably won't chase us," "He probably won't come after us," etc.

In other words, I think this is the usage of は that's covered by the following part of the definition of the particle は in 大辞林 (note especially the third and fourth usage examples):

④叙述を強める。[…]

㋑〔動詞・形容詞の連用形、および助詞「てで」に付いて〕一続きの叙述の一部分を強調する。「絶対に行き━しない」「なるほど美しく━ある」「少なくともわかって━いる」「まだ書いて━いない」「真実で━ない

I think it's used as meaning 1 in 大辞林 to indicate a hypothetical.

① ある事柄が実現した場合を仮定して、条件として示す。望ましくない事柄についていうことが多い。もし…したら。 「計画が敵に知られ-、せっかくの苦心も水の泡だ」 「この辺は危険ですから、泳いではいけません」

That is to say 追いかけては来ないでしょう could be replaced with もし追いかけたら来ないでしょう

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.