I know only 2 sources (websited) where I can see how to pronounce Japanese words. These sites are OJAD and WaDoku.

enter image description here

I like everyting, but in WaDoku transcription they put middle dot, which I do not know what might mean.

Can you please, explain me, how this dot influence pronunciation?
For example, what is the difference in pronuciation with dot [だい・とし] vs w/o dot [だいとし]?

Does this dot mean some kind of little pause?

[だい・とし] = [dai][pause][toshi]
[だいとし] = [daitoshi]

Or maybe WaDoku just put it for "beauty"-reason?

1 Answer 1

I am fairly certain that the・dot does not indicate a pause, as that fundamentally changes the pronunciation of the words. It clearly is not to do with the pitch accent either as that is shown in the light grey dotted line.

I would venture that the・is an aid to reader on how to parse the word. For example, I checked the word 人間関係 (human relations) on wadoku. This word is a compound of the word 人間 (human) and 関係 (relation, relationship, concern); and it shows にんげん・かんけい as the reading. So, the・I think is just showing where you “break” the word up into smaller words/suffixes/prefixes which meaningfully contribute to the meaning of the word.

In the case of your example 大都市, I think it is showing だい・とし as the 大 is essentially acting as a prefix to 都市 to modify the meaning from “city” to “large city”.

Would that interpretation make sense with other instances that you have seen on that website?

This is exactly right.
    – Gene
    Jun 19, 2019 at 16:17
  • @henreetee Thank's for explanaition. Anyway, your version is the only one reasonable, I can even imagine. I just wonder If to follow your logic why they divide into [dai * toshi] instead of [dai * to * shi], because in Jananese 都市 [toshi] is a word and 都[to] is a word and 市 [shi] is a word too.
    – Tchibi-kun
    Jun 19, 2019 at 17:25
    @Tchibi-kun but you wouldn't have 都 and 市 next to each other like that unless they were making a single word together. 大 is functioning as a prefix, and so it can be thought of separately.
    – Leebo
    Jun 19, 2019 at 21:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .