I was wondering if the above is some kind of expression or set phrase? I saw this in in a novel actually where the speaker was remarking about his opponent in battle who was summoning hundreds of soldiers loyal to him.

Edit: The line where the phrase in question is present goes like this

こりゃ足生やした一個の『国』や。

I don't get it very much either. Do you have the exact context? – broccoli facemask Jun 19 '19 at 2:22
    Huh, that's a creative depiction for a large mass (I'm praising). Can you add the information to your question? – broccoli facemask Jun 19 '19 at 16:49
  • Added. So you have a good idea what this means? – Elmasaito Jun 19 '19 at 17:32

This 足生やした not an idiomatic expression, but simply "(which) has grown legs" or "(which) has legs". 足 is "foot" or "leg", and 生やす is "to grow" or "to wear (a beard, etc)". He said the crowd of soldiers is almost like a walking country. This is a rather unique metaphor.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.