This is a conversation in my Japanese book:

John: I like Brad Pitt.

Mary: I like Brad Pitt too.

Mary's response is translated as ...

私もBrad Pittもすきです。

Is this correct? I feel like the second もshould still be a が. If the translation is correct then why is the が replaced by a も?

Depends on context. If you stated that you liked someone (not Brad Pitt), and then someone says they like Brad Pitt -- then this would be correct.

A: 私はLeonardo DiCaprioがすきです。
B: 私はBrad Pittがすきです。
A: 私もBrad Pittもすきです。

Without that context it would mean that both you and Brad Pitt also like something (not stated, whatever you're talking about).

• Great , but can you explain why the も is used twice ? Would it be incorrect to say: '' 私も Brad Pitt がすきです '' ? – Kantura Jun 19 at 12:22
  • Something along the lines of "I, also, like Brad Pitt, too" – vlumi Jun 19 at 12:50
  • Regarding the two も of the last sentence, the first も means that A also likes actor(s) like B does, whereas the second も means that A also likes Brad Pitt besides LeonardoDiCaprio. – jarmanso7 Jun 24 at 12:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.