could anyone help me with a sentence? It was from an article in the Asahi about the leadership change in North Korea. The full sentence is 拉致被害者の早い救出も、そこによるところは大きい。I understand the first part of the sentence - the rapid rescue of the abduction victims as well. However, I am not sure about the second part. How do you translate そこによる and ところは大きい into English? Is による 似寄る or に拠る? Thank you for your help.

による in the sentence seems to be 拠る/依る -> depend on or 因る/由る -> due to But it needs more context to clarify the meaning. Can you quote the previous sentences?
    – Teno
    Commented Sep 22, 2012 at 15:39
  • Well, it goes like this: 腎愚の次第で民は泣き、国際社会は迷惑を被る。拉致被害者の早い救出も、そこによるところは大きい-世継ぎへの忠誠心争いや、どさくさの権力争いで、ミサイルや砲弾が他国へ飛ぶ事態もないとはいえない・
    – Sean
    Commented Sep 22, 2012 at 15:50
  • If you go further back, you got this sentence: そして早々と三代目の世襲が宣言された。だが、その資質のほどはほとんど知られていない。 Did you get what そこ refers to from this? Does it refer to the new North Korean leader's disposition / 資質?
    – Sean
    Commented Sep 22, 2012 at 15:59

1 Answer 1

賢愚の次第で民は泣き、国際社会は迷惑を被る。拉致被害者の早い救出も、そこによるところは大きい

In this context, そこ (that/it) points to 賢愚 (to be wise or foolish) の次第 and よる should be 依る, meaning depends on.

So it reads: the rapid rescue of the abduction victims also largely depends on it. (it refers to the degree of being wise or foolish.)

• Yes, I got it now. Thank you very much. It was a hard article.
    – Sean
    Commented Sep 22, 2012 at 16:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .