I quite often come across sentences that post-fixes 先に to a place. For example: xxx駅先に各駅に止まります or 待ち合わせ先に直帰

I know that 先 can either mean before or after, and after reading Takumi Sueda's answer to this post I am struggling with the sometimes conflicting uses of 先 , it seems that only when there's a これから before the 先, would 先 imply "after". Going back to the question at hand, applying this logic would mean that the 先 here implies before rather then after, which wouldn't make sense. Assuming that the 先 here implies after, a very literal translation would be "From xxx station onwards, (train) will stop in a 各駅 manner (stops at every station)". I am assuming that the xxx駅先 is a noun, and the question that arises here is, since xxx駅先 is a noun, would using other particles that can be used as noun (for example: が、を、等) be ok? Example: xxx駅先がきれいです to mean (the places) after xxx station is beautiful?

X駅先に各駅に止まります makes no sense. Perhaps you've misheard X駅より先は各駅に止まります or X駅から先は各駅に止まります. – naruto Jun 13 at 8:58
  • The 先 in 待ち合わせ先 is different from the other one. In this case 先 marks a destination, like バイト先 and 旅先. – Fireheart251 Jun 13 at 13:00
  • のmay also be a good indicator, i.e. in the case of xxxの先... it would be after xxx... – Tuomo Jun 13 at 14:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.