I know that the verb changes from 忘れる(to forget) to 忘れないで (don´t forget) but I can´t understand the いて at the end. At first, I thought it comes from the casual imperative form of いる as this post explained but it must have a verb in a て-form before to have this "keep...ing" meaning or to make the request.

This is from a song called "Name of Love", the lyrics are as follows:

未来で逢えるなら 忘れないでいて 僕のこと 本当のこと

You have found the correct question; this いて is a subsidiary verb that means "to be ~ing" or "to keep ~ing". What you are missing is that 忘れないで is basically a (negative) te-form. ないで can be followed by many subsidiary verbs including いる, おく, やる and くださる. See: Is ないで a te-form? and ないで vs なくて: combining phrases with negative verbs

So 忘れないでいて means "(Please) don't forget me (for some time)" or "Keep remembering me."

• Oh, I didn't know that! I thought the only way to negate the て-form of 忘れる was with 忘れなくて c: Thank you! – Chrollo Jun 13 at 5:34
  • @Chrollo Actually ないで is almost always the default choice after a verb. You can say 見ないでください ("Don't look at me please") but not 見なくてください. – naruto Jun 13 at 5:38
  • Understood! Thank you c: – Chrollo Jun 13 at 5:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.