For example: "My doctor's bookings were full today, so I had to go early to try and catch a walk-in appointment."

• Not the answer you were looking for but you could also say "so I had to go early and try to get in without an appointment"
    – gman
    Commented Jun 10, 2019 at 3:23
    Also found this article which points out that it's actually not common to need an appointment to see a doctor in Japan, unlike the USA for example. Just found it interesting. It used the phrase "立ち寄り"
    – gman
    Commented Jun 10, 2019 at 3:28
    ^ They gave the word 立ち寄り as just a direct translation of "walk-in". We don't use the word to talk about 予約なし診療、受付順 in the hospital.
    – chocolate
    Commented Jun 10, 2019 at 9:39
  • As there may be other non-native-English speakers here than me, to clarify, I think Chocolate's message meant that the 予約なし ("without time reservation") or 受付順 (something towards "first-come-first-serve") would both be OK.
    – Tuomo
    Commented Jun 10, 2019 at 13:51

2 Answers 2

"Walk-in appointment" is not regarded as 予約 ("appointment") in Japan. It will usually be treated as 予約なし診療 (literally "appointment-less visit") or 予約外診療 (literally "outside-appointment visit") in Japan. This often means waiting for a long time in a hospital.

Other options are:

• 当日予約: if you managed to make an appointment over the phone several hours before the visit
  • 飛び込み診療: this is the same as 予約なし診療 but sounds negative

飛{と}び込{こ}み is an expression with means jump in unannounced.

For example, a "walk-in patient" would be a 飛び込みの患者{かんじゃ}.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .