For example: "My doctor's bookings were full today, so I had to go early to try and catch a walk-in appointment."

• Not the answer you were looking for but you could also say "so I had to go early and try to get in without an appointment" – gman Jun 10 '19 at 3:23
    Also found this article which points out that it's actually not common to need an appointment to see a doctor in Japan, unlike the USA for example. Just found it interesting. It used the phrase "立ち寄り" – gman Jun 10 '19 at 3:28
    ^ They gave the word 立ち寄り as just a direct translation of "walk-in". We don't use the word to talk about 予約なし診療、受付順 in the hospital. – Chocolate Jun 10 '19 at 9:39
  • As there may be other non-native-English speakers here than me, to clarify, I think Chocolate's message meant that the 予約なし ("without time reservation") or 受付順 (something towards "first-come-first-serve") would both be OK. – Tuomo Jun 10 '19 at 13:51

"Walk-in appointment" is not regarded as 予約 ("appointment") in Japan. It will usually be treated as 予約なし診療 (literally "appointment-less visit") or 予約外診療 (literally "outside-appointment visit") in Japan. This often means waiting for a long time in a hospital.

Other options are:

• 当日予約: if you managed to make an appointment over the phone several hours before the visit
  • 飛び込み診療: this is the same as 予約なし診療 but sounds negative

飛{と}び込{こ}み is an expression with means jump in unannounced.

For example, a "walk-in patient" would be a 飛び込みの患者{かんじゃ}.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.