The questions is how to choose between 「いれる」 and 「はいれる」.

As far as I know, the same kanji is used for both (入れる). How can one make the distinction when reading a text?


1 Answer 1


You say X [入]{はい}れる, but X [入]{い}れる.

The answer to these type of questions always seems to be the same, but you need the context to decide on a reading for a particular 漢字. There are many examples for when the reading of a 漢字 is dependent on the context, and the word pair you quote is one of the easier ones to guess, because [入]{はい}れる is an intransitive verb and [入]{い}れる is a transitive verb and there is a definite answer and a definite way to find out (i.e. check whether the sentence has a direct object marked with を and you know it has to be [入]{い}れる).

  • I worked this one out but I've been struggling with why 立ち入り禁止 is「いり」not 「はいり」....
    – Tim
    Sep 21, 2012 at 18:29
  • Tx. That is good to know. I have been considering a question on topic but was going to look into it more first. Possibly the OP should be on the difference between the intransitives いる and はいる with reference to 入り口 and 気に入る(いる).
    – Tim
    Sep 22, 2012 at 10:12
  • 1
    @user1205935, got any support for your reading of 立ち入った? I have never heard this read in any other way than たちいった.
    – dainichi
    Sep 24, 2012 at 1:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .